Thursday, June 28, 2007

The World Crisis: The world that we created

Since I have decided to have a point with most of my blogs (though I am sure there will be some that have no point at all..), this one came to me while I was sleeping.

One of my favorite songs is "Is this the World We Created" by Queen from the album "The Works" released in 1984 (most famous for the song "Radio Ga-Ga"). Anyway, I bought this album (on tape) from Camelot Music at Chapel Hill Mall, in Akron, Ohio. I put this tape in my Walkman and was completely mesmerized. Not only did most of the songs on this album have a strong political message, but it rocked! (If I remember correctly, this tape stayed in my Walkman for about a year, until I had played it so much that the tape wound itself around the turning parts).

So back to the dream I had. For some reason - and it doesn't happen often - I dream in "music" and this was the soundtrack to my dream. Needless to say, I felt the need to write about it....and find a youtube video that would give justice to both the song and my dream sequence. This video comes quite close.

Originally written [Brian May & Freddie Mercury] to address the issues of starvation and poverty in the developing world, this song was adopted by various causes since, including: LiveAid, Greenpeace, WorldAids, and Unicef. The message of this song is as powerful, timely and universal now as it was 23 years ago. The images in this video use past and present events to bring this song into the new millennium.



Is This The World We Created?

Just look at all those hungry mouths we have to feed
Take a look at all the suffering we breed
So many lonely faces scattered all around
Searching for what they need

Is this the world we created?
What did we do it for?
Is this the world we invaded
Against the law?
So it seems in the end
Is this what we're all living for today?
The world that we created

You know that every day a helpless child is born
Who needs some loving care inside a happy home
Somewhere a wealthy man is sitting on his throne
Waiting for life to go by

Is this the world we created?
We made it on our own
Is this the world we devastated
Right to the bone?
If there's a God in the sky looking down
What can he think of what we've done

To the world that he created?

No comments: