Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Music From The Edge: Pat & Mick



Sneaking into the local gay bar at age 19 got a lot easier. I had actually been doing it since I was 16....So, 3 years later I was a "fixture" in the local gay dance club and had even been given a spot on the 'coveted' box. (Yes, I was a box boy). One of my fondest memories when I was anointed with this honor was hearing the song "Use it Up & Wear It Out" blast through the speakers on the dance floor....the place went NUTS. So as my tribute to these early days - I give you the entire Maxi-Cassette of Pat & Mick.

DOWNLOAD: Pat & Mick "Use It Up & Wear It Out" (MaxiCassette)

Bitrate: 128 Kbps

Side One:

Use It Up & Wear It Out (7:13)
I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet (6:13)
Let's All Chant (Something For The Kids Mix) (6:28)

Side Two:

Star Teaser (4:59)
You Better Not Fool Around (4:23)
On The Night (6:23)

~~Ripped From Cassette~~


Pat & Mick, The British Duo comprised of Pat Sharp & Mick Brown managed to make a small ripple on the US pop charts with the help of uber-dance-producers Stock, Aitken, & Waterman (Remember Rick Astley?). Producing the entire maxi-cassette as well as taking writing credits for the entire Side Two, the dance floors of gay bars throughout the country were brimming with hot bodies dancing to the famous "One, Two, Three...Shake Your Body Down..."

The most successful track off this maxi-cassette was, of course, Use It Up & Wear It Out (surprisingly the SECOND release from the same titled cassette), making The Billboard Hot 100 and peaking at #81 (#40 on The Billboard hot Dance Music/MaxiSingle Sales). The first single released, "Let's All Chant" failed to chart.

Interestingly, I was unable to locate a video for either of these tracks, but was able to find one for their third and final single from the album "I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet." Again, "Dancing" failed to chart...but the video remains iconic of the late 80's hair and fashion...what a blast.



Though Pat & Mick worked through the early 90's they were unable to re-create the excitement and panache of their earlier work.

Enjoy!

Peace.Love.Live.
JPB

8 comments:

John said...

Going purely by memory here, but I believe Pat & Mick were actually radio DJs in the UK and the EP and resulting chart success were totally a lark.

jpb2525 said...

Yes, you are correct. They did this purely for fundraising purposes, and the EP took off - much to their amazement.

A Man and A Mouse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Man and A Mouse said...

Wasn't the song produced by PWL? The ultimate success wouldn't surprise me in that case. Thanks for the mp3s.

Anonymous said...

i had that cassette maxi. didn't it have a peach colored cover. Really simple? Or did I have a remix version or something?
Thanks for posting. such memories!
-marcdmoder@yahoo.com

popstar said...

Hi there. Thanks for the info on Pat & Mick and your site in general. How do I download your maxi cassette as when I click on the link to ZShare nothing happens, it just sticks and I'm desperate to hear 'On The Night'.

Cheers

jpb2525 said...

Moose - you would be correct, very simple cover for sure the picture on the blog is actually from the UK version.

Perry - I will have to re-up the link...I won't be able to get to this until next week (when I am on my home computer...but I will repost for you then!

Thanks for reading...new posts coming soon!!

Peace.
JPB

Unknown said...

Actually, some years ago I bought a CD version of Use It Up, and that is the exact cover it has. Great music.